[Nanqin] Chapter 6 - New Business

   The bright moonlight fell on the courtyard. Shrouded by moonlight, the small courtyard had a unique charm.

Zhang Nanqin pushed the wheelchair and stopped in front of Qin Ruoan's boudoir. Qin Ruoan suddenly opened her mouth, "Grandpa found you on the southeast boarder of North County to East Que. The treasure of the southeast is called Nan, a talented person is called Qin. Besides, you were wearing a jade pendant engraved with character 'Zhang', so you were named Zhang Nanqin. Grandpa had always hoped you could frighten the East Que and shock the Cloud States.”

  "I never forget, my dear sister." Zhang Nanqin nod.

  Qin Ruoan pushed the wheelchair into the room and turned it around to look at Zhang Nanqin, "My brother, no matter what you decision is, Ruoan will always be on your side."

  “I know. I always know. Have a good rest.” Zhang Nanqin closed the door and walked towards the living room. Seeing the plaque placed in the middle of the north wall of the room, he walked over and wiped the plaque gently with his sleeve.

  The name on the plaque was Qin Shaocheng, the State-Pillar General of North County.

  A hundred years ago, Cloud States was once devastated by a plague. Not only the master of Cloud States could not control it, but the plague also even spread to the Central Capital, where lived prestigious cultivators. The East Que took the opportunity and started the war to conquer the Could States, attacking North County, West Desert and South River simultaneously. North County was the closest to East Que and thus suffered the most. Had it not been the resistance by the union of North County, the master of Cloud States and the Central Capital, today the Cloud States should have been conquered by East Que.

  After the great War, the traitors who collaborated with East Que were executed and the new order was reestablished. And East Que had become the rat on the street that everyone hated. But as the population was decimated by plague and warfare, the master of Cloud States did not want to see any more deaths, and thus only issued a ban on East Que’s military expansion. Whenever East Que violated the ban, other countries would immediately join forces to destroy it.  

The Qin family rose at that time. To consolidate the North County and stabilize the imperial court, Qin family had suppressed and crushed many royal families, vassals and sects. When it came to Qin Shaocheng, the Qin family’s reputation arrived to its peak. Meanwhile, Qin family had offended many people. After the death of Qin Shaocheng, Qin family suffered constant suppression and marginalization, accompanied by a series of tragedies.

"Grandpa, I'm back." Zhang Nanqin snapped out of his memories and whispered, ''I promised you that I would not go to Jingan County within three years, and I have kept my words. I know you played a big game of chess to save my life.”

“Three years ago, you thought I am too sharp and asked me to draw in my claws." Zhang Nan continued muttering softly, "But all I have learned in my life is how to use my claws, how can I draw my claws in, grandpa... A year ago, they wanted me to die, and I was lucky enough to survive under your arrangement, spending my days in the Bodhisattva Temple. Now I am back, it is the time for those people to start feeling scared ......"

  From the back, Zhang Nanqin’s back was sluggishly like an old man. But if someone looked into his eyes, they were as bright as the stars in the dark sky.

An earthy yellow faint glow suddenly emanated from Zhang Nanqin’s cloths. He pulled a rock out of his pocket. The glowing stone is voistone, the most important messaging tool used in the Cloud States.  

Zhang Nanqin frowned. He just purchased this voistone as a messaging tool for his sharpening business. No one should know except the customers. But who would call a knife sharpener at night?

“Can you help me sharpen my knife?”

The pleasant sound coming from inside the acousmission stone immediately brought Zhang Nanqin’s spirit to life. He replied without thinking, “Yes.”

These days, Zhang Nanqin was out sharpening knives every day. He did not pick the restaurants, but targeted on the street vendors, because there more people were passing by. Among those people, he believed the knives he had sharpened would attract some people. Those sharpened kitchen knives were actually a waste in the hands of the street vendors. But if someone came to the door for business, it would not as simple as sharpening kitchen knives.

After confirming the location from the voistone, Zhang Nanqin walked out of the courtyard and headed towards Shen's Garden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Nanqin] Chapter 1 - The One in a Thousand Years

[Nanqin] Chapter 4 - Unexpected Interlude